are everywhere. In nature, they exist as part of the natural order of life,
but in industry, bacteria, yeast, algae and fungi can cause significant
damage. Microorganisms require water
and food to grow and a typical coating, emulsion or adhesive can provide the
water and nutrients needed for bacteria and fungi to thrive.
Microbial spoilage is a serious issue if left untreated it can cause among others:
- Reduced product performance
- Discoloration and viscosity changes
- Strong odors
- Expensive product disposal costs
Microbial spoilage can be prevented by the effective use of antimicrobials or biocides. Antimicrobials typically make up only a small percentage of formulation but they play a critical role in preventing microbial spoilage and contamination.
Lonza has a comprehensive biocide portfolio with products that are designed to be fast-acting disinfectants to products that offer long-term preservation robust protection. We have antimicrobials for both wet-state and dry-film applications and offer a wide range of options that satisfy the current regulatory and market conditions including both MIT-Free and BIT-Free preservatives.
For our customers, we offer:
- World-class technical support with technical facilities positioned all over the world
- Expert regulatory guidance
- Europe under BPR
- United States under EPA
- Globally for country-specific concerns
- Microbial Management Program
- Plant hygiene site visits
- Tailored reports for optimum biocide performance and best practices
- Operator training